Sunday, December 30, 2012

$6.75 Caned Chair Makeover!

A while back I told you about a caned chair I had picked up at a garage sale for $6 (talked the nice lady down from $15) which my sister was reupholstering with some 75 cent fabric from another garage sale. I like the lines of old caned chairs like this. I think they're classic, but offer a touch of the exotic. Anyway, here was the chair as I found it, minus the stained seat cushion:


I sanded down the chipped spots and grimy bits, and then used wood filler and stain to make the chair look almost as good as new! Now, the chair has its own special corner in my bedroom.

There's still a little damage to the caning, but much better than what you might expect for a chair that's probably 50 years old! Didn't my sister do an amazing job with the reupholstering? And isn't that fabric surprisingly awesome for being so old? Apparently I used the 'wrong' side of it, but I like it this way :) I even took an up-close picture of the fabric so you could appreciate it:


So what do you think? Have you found any amazing fabric remnants that you just had to incorporate into your interior? And what's your opinion on caned chairs--frumpy or fabulous?

2 comments:

  1. Oh crap! I just got rid of a chair like this not long ago! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad! I've seen a ton of fresh, modern makeovers for caned chairs using spraypaint! Black, coral, blue, white--a couple coats look really sharp! I chose a slightly more conservative route by refinishing this redo.

    Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete